Kelly McGillis Bio: She is an American actress widely known for her role as Charlie in Top Gun with Tom Cruise.
She also, known for her role as Kathryn Murphy in The Accused with Jodie Foster.
Kelly McGillis Bio
|Birth Date||9 July 1957|
|Birth Place||Newport Beach, California|
|Spouse||Melanie Leis (m. 2010–2011),
Fred Tillman (m. 1989–2002),
Boyd Black (m. 1979–1981)
|Children||Sonora Tillman, Kelsey Tillman|
|Height||5 F 10 in|
|Net Worth||Update Soon|
She was born on 9 July 1957 in Newport Beach, California. She is the daughter of Virginia Joan (née Snell), a homemaker, and Dr. Donald Manson McGillis, a doctor.
McGillis is of Scots-Irish descent from her father’s side, and German from her mother, and Welsh also.
McGillis was raised in Los Angeles and attended the Pacific Conservatory of the Performing Arts at Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria, California.
After graduating from high school in 1975, she moved to New York City to study acting at the Juilliard School, where she graduated in 1983, Group 12.
Kelly McGillis Carrer
McGillis’ breakout role was that of an Amish mother in the 1985 film Witness with Harrison Ford, for which she received Golden Globe and BAFTA award nominations.
Her high-profile role was that of flight instructor Charlotte Blackwood in the 1986 fighter-pilot film Top Gun with Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer.
She acted in the fantasy-comedy film Made in Heaven, directed by Alan Rudolph, which was produced by Lorimar Productions. The film also co-stars Oscar winner Timothy Hutton.
Her early television roles included a part on the daytime soap One Life to Live in 1984.
She also starred in television movies with Alec Baldwin in 1984’s Sweet Revenge, which was re-titled at some point.
She also narrated the documentary Out of Ireland for PBS in 1995.
Kelly McGillis Husband, Children, Personal Life
in 1979, She married fellow Juilliard student Boyd Black, but the couple divorced in 1981. She married Fred Tillman in 1989, and they have two daughters. The couple divorced in 2002.
McGillis came out as a lesbian in April 2009 during an interview with SheWired. In 2010, McGillis entered into a civil union with Melanie Leis, a Philadelphia sales executive.
McGillis and McGillis met in 2000 when Leis was a bartender at Kelly’s Caribbean Bar Grill & Brewery in Key West, Florida, which McGillis owned with her then-husband, Fred Tillman.
They sold the restaurant on June 2017. Leis and McGillis broke up in 2011.
McGillis worked full-time with drug addicts and alcoholics at Seabrook House Drug Alcohol Rehab Center, a rehabilitation center in Bridgeton, New Jersey when she and Leis shared a home in Collingswood.
McGillis currently lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina. She teaches acting at The New York Studio for Stage and Screen NYS3 in Asheville, North Carolina.
- 1986, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1986, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- Dropped out of high school her senior year to pursue acting.
- Break through role was a soft-spoken Amish widow opposite Harrison Ford’s detective in Witness (1985).
- Best known for playing Tom Cruise’s love interest, Charlotte Blackwood, in the 1986 smash Top Gun.
- Garnered critical acclaim for her performance as a sex-crimes prosecutor in the 1988 crime drama The Accused; she said her performance was inspired by her own rape in 1982.
- Made her Broadway debut in 1994, starring in the Roundabout Theatre Company’s production of Hedda Gabler.
- Played Mrs. Robinson in the 2004 national touring company of The Graduate.
- Mother, Joan, runs the Key West Theatre Festival.