Victor Marrero Bio
Victor Marrero is a Senior District Judge of Southern District of New York. He co-founded the legal group with Cesar Perales and Jorge Batista.
Victor Marrero was born in 1941 in Santurce, San Juan, Puerto Rico. he is at the age of 78 years as of 2019.
One of Marrero’s many endeavors before becoming a judge included the co-founding of the Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund in 1972.
Victor Marrero Earlier Life and Education
He is originally from Puerto Rico. He attended New York University as an undergraduate and graduated in 1964.
Then he went straight to law school at Yale University, graduating in 1968, per the bio of the judge from the Federal Judicial Center.
“In a 75-page ruling, Judge Marrero said called president’s argument ‘repugnant to the nation’s governmental structure and constitutional values.’ Presidents, their families and businesses are not above the law, the judge ruled” https://t.co/TdqWZ6jDxx
— Exavier Pope (@exavierpope) October 7, 2019
Marrero first worked as an assistant to the Mayor after graduating from Yale; the mayor of New York City was John Lindsay at the time.
He also worked as the Executive Director of the Department of City Planning, the Special counsel to the comptroller of New York City, and the Chairman of the City Planning Commission in the 70s, among other positions.
as Per his Federal Judicial Court resume, here’s a full list of positions he’s held throughout his career:
- Assistant, Mayor John V. Lindsay, New York City, 1968-1970
- Assistant administrator and neighborhood director, Model Cities Administration, New York City, 1970-1973
- Executive director, Department of City Planning, New York City, 1973-1974
- Special counsel to the comptroller, New York City, 1974-1975
- First assistant counsel, Gov. Hugh Carey, New York, 1975-1976
- Chairman, City Planning Commission, New York City, 1976-1977
- Commissioner and vice-chairman, New York State Housing Finance Agency, 1978-1979
- Undersecretary of housing and urban development, 1979-1981
Private practice, New York City, 1981-1993
- U.S. ambassador on the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations, 1993-1997
- U.S. ambassador and permanent representative of the United States to the Organization of American States, 1998-1999
In Marrero’s 75-page ruling striking down Trump’s argument claiming that sitting presidents are immune to investigations, the judge called the legal argument “repugnant,” among other things.
Judge Marrero: Trump must hand over his tax returns.
Lawyers: Your honor, I object!
Lawyers: Because it's devastating to my case!
Lawyers: Good call!
This is essentially their defense right now.
— Nick Jack Pappas (@Pappiness) October 7, 2019
Victor Marrero’s Wife
Marrero is married to Veronica White. He said in an interview; i likes to spend his downtime watching movies with his wife, Veronica, in their apartment in the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
He said that he and his wife both love spending time in Central Park, too, though they keep their activities less than strenuous.